From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 19:03:30 -0400
At 10:52 AM -0500 2/10/97, Luiz F. Valente wrote:
> The Tigers never
> completely abandoned, however, what Brown Daily Herald's Senior Staff
> Writer Martin Smal has humorously, but aptly described as their "hands-on
> approach to hockey." This Princeton team is skilled enough NOT to have to
> clutch and grab, but I suppose this is the style that Coach Cahoon likes to
> teach.

For some reason, a phrase including the words "pot", "kettle", and "black"
comes to mind. :-)

> Although I find the style he teaches distasteful, Coach
> Cahoon deserves, therefore, a lot of credit for having brought a measure of
> respectability to a program with an undistinguished history.

Also known as "damning with faint praise." :-)

I could not help but wonder what caused Luiz to turn on Bob Gaudet so
quickly. :-)  Because, whatever you choose to call the style of play that
each team employs, it is still true that they have tended to be more alike
than dissimilar.  It would stand to reason, then, that Luiz also considers
Bob Gaudet's style to be at least somewhat "distasteful".

Certainly personal attacks that take place on the lists cannot be condoned,
and I do not condone Adam's immediate followup.  However, given the history
involved here, his reaction is understandable even if not condonable.

Perhaps what is less understandable is why Luiz would feel compelled to
continue this vendetta against Princeton and Don Cahoon for several years
now.  And why he would choose to use HOCKEY-L as his forum in this crusade.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****