From:
peter martin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 14:22:08 -0500
I haven't been there for the Beanpot, but I can imagine how that building
has stripped the game of its emotion.

It's not a question of giving the FleetCenter time to generate memories --
the mindset with which it was built was that sports are not interesting
enough to stand successfully on their own.  The game is almost a sideshow
next to the food courts, flashing lights, music, etc.

In the Garden, the game was the attraction -- you were on top of it, and
everybody knew it.  Even in the social atmosphere of the Beanpot, there was
electricity --  and that wasn't just for the classic games.  And, I wonder
if, in the current atmosphere, the heroics of Northeatern's Wayne Turner or
Harvard's Wade Lau would be nearly as riviting.  I don't think so -- and
that's sad.

The first time I went to the FleetCenter I joked with my friends that I
would walk out if they played "Monie Monie" in the "New Garden."  Well, they
played it -- twice!!  At least they don't have dancing girls yet.

Wait till next year for that.

P.Martin