From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 1996 10:26:25 -0500
I got to this a little late....

At 02:34 PM 12/23/96 -0500, Adam Wodon-Around the Rinks wrote:
>Good article by Ken ... very thorough.

Agreed....

>I'll say, however ... it's all well and good that the Union administration
>wants to keep the hockey players all the same as the other students, but if you
>make a decision to go Division I in a particular sport, you've got to be
>willing to pay the piper, you know what I mean?

I think so. If you look at any Division I school, do you really think that
its athletes are going to be treated the same way as the "regular" students?
I'm not just talking about hockey, but football and the orange round-ball
sport, as well. Some of the freshman recruits are supposed to be the
greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't think the administration is
going to treat them the same way as the rest of the student body....

>Unless the administration is willing to give some help to hockey players,
>similar to the Ivy Leagues (as the article mentions), I think Union coaches
>will be eternally frustrated.

Not to mention the fans....

I think this is what led to the resignation of Bruce Delventhal. He said
that he was frustrated. With what, he didn't exactly say. It would seem
very frustrating that if you want your program to grow and gain popularity,
you (as the administration) would do anything within your limits to make
that happen. Imagine losing a recruit to someone like Clarkson, BU, Michigan,
or Minnesota because they were able to offer a scholarship and you weren't.