From:
"J. Michael Neal" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 22:04:56 -0500
I don't know.  I've never really thought that sporting events were all that
appropriate a venue for the anthem(s).  It isn't really that it trivializes
patriotism, which is a concept that can take care of itself.  It just seems
to me to be two concepts that have little to do with each other; we don't
have orchestras playing the anthem before each concert, or restaurants
playing it before dinner is served.  It's a tradtition that started during
WW2 that nobody ever tried to stop, since it would have seemed unpatriotic.

Sports fans don't treat anything else (themselves, the other team, other
fans, often their own team) politely.  I'm not sure why anyone would expect
that to make an exception here.

I guess I'm too worried about people using patriotism for actual dastardly
ends (like getting elected by casting aspersions upon their opponent) to get
exercised about this.  Sometimes a little irreverence towards one's own
country might actually be a good thing.

J. Michael Neal