From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:26:31 -0500
Hmm... this is the first I've heard of the player incidents to which Luiz refers
in the Cornell-Brown game.  It's probably not surprising that these were not
reported in the Ithaca area, and I agree that the behavior described is
inappropriate and distressing.  I do wonder, though, about the following
comment:

> Schafer himself seems to be
>a master at irking opposing coaches with subtle little things, which
>makes me question his sportsmanship. For example, Schafer's decision
>to start freshman Frank Kovac at center against Brown was clearly
>designed to stick it to the Brown coaching staff, who had spent a great
>deal of time and energy recruiting that young man, and who had been
>led to believe as late as March that he was coming to Brown.

I was not aware that Kovac was so close to signing with Brown, and I certainly
don't have a lot of insight into what Coach Schafer's motivation was for
starting the Kovac line against Brown (except to say that perhaps watching the
team in practice every weekday since October 15th or trying to match up the
Kovac "checking" line against Brown's top skaters may have had something to do
with it).  But considering that Kovac has been in the lineup since day one, and
that he, Tony Bergin, and Jamie Papp have been the starting line against at
least three, and probably all, other Cornell opponents, I find the above to be a
bit of a reach.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"A man shouldn't be an athlete after the age of 27."
-- George Foreman, in 1973