From:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 18:17:02 -0500
Erik Biever wrote:
Glenn Auerbach writes:

>A guy (Joe) who works at the University of Michigan brought his 4 yr old
>niece and his brother to Friday's game against Brown University.  *[For
>those who have not visited Yost, when a Brown penalty ended, the announcer
>would say, "Brown full strength" and the crowd would respond, "...and they
>still suck!" - no moral judgement on my part here - just relating a story.]*
> On Saturday, his sister in law asked Joe how the game went.  The niece
>answered "they still suck".    Joe and his brother broke out laughing, and
>the niece is not allowed to attend any more hockey games!

I think this is more sad than funny.  Casual profanity like this ruins the
experience for many potential fans, not just at Yost but elsewhere too.  I'm
sorry that Joe's niece won't grow up attending and enjoying college hockey.

-- Erik

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

It touches my buttons too and I think it's even worse than Erik paints! Hockey is highly promoted here as a "family" sport. Plus, there's numerous (100's) of 'young' hockey players in attendance (as well as families). One would think that with all the "rights" legislation, one of the most basic "rights" would be decent language at a public gathering. Certainly, it's a classic illustration of a few infringing on the rights of a great many. Why is this tolerated by administrators and facility managers while one on one relationships are regulated to the nth degree? Is it the old committee idea -- i.e., you can't fix responsibility, groups are held to a lesser standard than individuals, etc. Regardless of the cause, it's certainly a black mark on whatever it touches -- in this case, college hockey!

Lowell King