From:
Russ and Gail Bone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 01:31:19 -0600
Steven M. Bernhardt wrote eloquently in defense of the MN recruiting
policy, an old saw here on the list.  There are, of course, many
admirable things about the "Pride on Ice" recruiting philosophy.  My
comment comes in from another angle.  After following this list for
quite a while, I've noticed that the vast majority of those initiating
this discussion fall into three categories (in order of frequency IMHO):

1. Gopher fans criticizing other programs for not having the same
recruiting policy. ("-team name here- has all those 22 year old Canadian
freshmen on their team, that gives them an (implied, unfair)
advantage.")
2. A sliver of Gopher fans looking for explanations and solutions to the
recent lack of NCAA Championships despite tremendously consistent
top-notch teams. ("Maybe if we picked up a few solid out-state recruits,
it would put us over the top.")
3. A few Gopher haters looking to pick a fight. ("Ha, Ha, you didn't win
the title.  Why don't you wake up and change your recruiting policy.")

Dismiss the 3's, as they contribute little intelligence to the
discussion.  If the recruiting policy holds the Gophers down just that
last little notch, fans of the other teams should want them to keep it
up, not change it.

Pay little heed to the 1's, who want to have their cake and eat it,
too.  It's one thing to be proud of your team's recruiting, and another
entirely to complain about the chosen recruiting policies of other
teams.  Any implication that MN's policy is "the best," or "the most
logical" for any team beside the Gophers is specious.  Whether it is the
best or most logical for the Gophers is where the 2's come in and make
for an interesting and lively interchange.

Though not a Gopher fan, I have lots of respect for the program and
think that the recruiting policy has served them well for many years.
All I ask is that 1's extend the same courtesy to the policies of the
other schools.

That's how I see it.