From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 18:16:15 -0400
At 05:21 PM 4/26/96 -0600, Pam Sweeney wrote:

>Right.  I read (sorry I forget where -- must have been either the MN Daily
>or St. Paul Pioneer Press) that Bonin is getting paid a stipend for playing
>with the US team, but Crowley is not, because he can't accept it without
>losing his eligibility.  The stipend is the problem that Maine had with the
>Olympics.  Their player (was it Snow?) apparently didn't realize that
>taking the stipend made him ineligible under NC$$ rules.

This player is Mike Dunham.

Reportedly, Dunham was paid a stipend for his participation in the 1994
Olympics because he had joined the team late.  It is claimed that his mother
received the check, called USA Hockey and was told the stipend would not
affect elligibilty.  The check was deposited, and Dunham claims not to have
known (though I still don't understand how you can't notice $1200 in your
bank account).  The rest is history.

---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine