From:
Francis Mallgrave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:31:00 -0400
Message authorized by:
    : [log in to unmask] at X400PO
     A few personal notes regarding Jason. His Dad was with the Chicago
     Blackhawks and asked Jeremy Roenick's father, Wally, about some
     Eastern prep schools to send Jason. Although Jeremy attended Thayer
     Academy, Wally recommended St. Paul's School in Concord, NH. This
     school has a rich hockey tradition which includes Hobey Baker as one
     of its students in the early 20th century. Wally felt the school
     provided the best combination of sports and academics, something
     Jason's father wanted.

     While at St. Paul's, Jason skated with Joe Craigen, who will be a
     senior at Harvard next year, and Jeff Halpern who will be a sophomore
     at Princeton. At best the team was mediocre in the tough Independent
     School League.

     Jason accumulated enough courses so that he was able to leave St.
     Paul's after his junior year. He was heavily recruited by Harvard and
     BU but Michigan was the eventual choice. I remember bumping into him
     in a hallway at the Boston Garden just after Harvard had won the 1993
     Beanpot from BU. Thinking he was there on a Harvard recruiting trip,
     it seemed the timing was perfect and I wished him good luck in his
     four years at Harvard. Actually, he was there on a BU trip and
     apparently not impressed with either school.

     One last comment about Jason. I had the opportunity to have dinner
     with him at the Halpern's home, here in Maryland, not long after he
     was made the first round draft choice of the Dallas Stars. He is an
     extremely bright, articulate and introspective young man who will be a
     success in whatever endeavor he pursues.

     Frank Mallgrave