From:
MATTHEW CALDERWOOD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MATTHEW CALDERWOOD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 07:58:34 -0600
     The recent discussion of the Michigan band's tendency to play "Hail to
     the Victors" whenever humanly possible reminded me of last year's
     final four.  My fiance (UMaine '95) and I were sitting two sections
     over from the Michigan band in the Providence Civic Center.  I think
     we all remember how long the game went.  We missed the pre-game,
     barely made it for the drop of the puck, but through five-plus 20
     minute periods and five intermissions, we heard that particular song
     enough to last anyone a lifetime.  That song has been stuck in my head
     ever since.  I had a rather nasty flashback when I was watching
     college football last September and switched to a Michigan game in
     time to see the Maize and Blue score.

     Did anyone else notice what the Dolt that ESPN had hosting the
     intermissions of the final game said?  Between the third period and
     the overtime, he said something to the effect of, "and remember,
     college sports fans, this game is just the hors d'ouver (sp?).
     Tonight's main course features UMass and Kentucky in the much
     anticipated basketball semifinal."  UMass/Kentucky was a huge game,
     but the hockey championship was hardly an appetizer for a hoop
     semifinal.  ESPN wasn't even carrying the basketball game.  No
     respect...

     Finally, I apologize if this is totally false, but a few years back, I
     heard secondhand a supposed quote from BU coach Jack Parker, in which
     he supposedly said, "If you're still at BU for your senior year,
     you're doing something wrong."  The implication, of course, was that
     Parker considered his program a breeding ground for the NHL.  It may
     have just been something spread by bitter Maine fans after the '91
     Hockey East final (Shawn McEachern beats Garth Snow in OT to win it),
     another chapter in a fierce rivalry, but is Parker's stance on players
     leaving school prior to their senior year known?  Red Berenson's
     recent quotes reminded me of this.

     Matt
     RPI '94