From:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 14:34:39 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Ralph N. Baer) wrote:

>I was speaking yesterday to an RPI graduate who was at RPI when they last
>won the National Chmpionship in 1985.  He told me something that was not
>the way that I remembered it, so I figured that I would ask if any one
>knows what the circumstances were.  Back in those days, eight teams made
>the tourney, and the first round games were played at campus sites.  RPI
>beat LSSU 7-3 and they tied the second game 3-3.  My recollection was
>that this was a two-game, total-goal series.  He told me that it was two
>games followed by a minigame if each team won one game or there were two
>ties.

It was a two-game, total-goals series.  This graduate has a poor
memory.

>I was looking through the USA Today web pages.  They have a list of
>those student athletes who committed during the early signing period.
>I noticed a complete lack of ECAC teams.  Now, I know that the Ivies,
>Colgate, and Union don't give scholarships, but I was wondering why no
>players from the other four teams are listed.  Is there some ECAC rule
>not allowing early signings?

Not that I know of.  Any such rule would be detremental, in my
opinion.

I think the schools just haven't released anything.  RPI is notorious
for being EXTREMELY secretive about what's going on.  WRPI has to
budget in January for the upcoming academic year, as does the athletic
department, and I'm very lucky if I know, roughly, who the Engineers
are playing the next season and whether I should plan for a big trip
(such as Air Force, a road trip that was not budgeted for because I
had no idea it was coming).  Forget about finding out who will be
attending the school the next season.

Usually, I find out what's going on by fans telling me before games.
Or, in the case of Bryan Masotta, I find out by being introduced to
him while he's visiting during a game, just because I happen to be
walking by.

Isn't communication wonderful?