From:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 01:35:41 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Ralph N. Baer) wrote:

>As to which teams should have been sent west, the one thing that I
>don't think has been mentioned is which teams would attract more local
>interest in the Albany area -- Lowell or Clarkson/Cornell.  Most of
>the discussion has been with regard to how the institutions in
>question has been treated.  Although I am far from the NY Capital
>District, I am pretty sure that either Clarkson and Cornell, because
>of long-standing rivalries with RPI, will draw more interest than
>Lowell locally.  I know that I disliked both of these fine institutions
>long before I ever heard of UMass-Lowell or either of the two colleges
>which were combined to form it.  Should this, another attendence issue,
>have been a concern, I think so.  Nothing personal is meant against
>Lowell in this regard.

Jayson and I talked about this last night.  That UML got sent out west
was really no surprise to me (I don't think Jay was shocked either).

Frankly, if I had to judge what eastern teams would draw well in
Albany, I'd check and see what teams draw well against RPI (Union's
limited seating capacity doesn't allow as much maneuverability for
visitors).

Anyway, of the 6 eastern teams in question, I'd have to rate local
draw in this way (coming from following RPI religiously for 8 years):

1.  Clarkson
2.  BU
3.  Cornell
4.  UVM
5.  Providence
6.  UML

The draw, really, depends on the local alumni base and how many people
travel from the school.  For Clarkson, Cornell and BU, they have a
large local base and a large travel base.  UVM leans on the travel
people.  Providence and UML are close, but I'd have to give PC the
edge.  Frankly, the UML crowds have never impressed me at the Field
House.

Before I start getting flamed, tarred and feathered, or whatever, I'm
not saying UML doesn't have a strong fan base or that they wouldn't be
a lot of people here.  It's just that in the past, the crowds at RPI
aren't as good as the others.  If I were on the committee and had to
consider who would look good in Albany, this would be my primary
resource.  Of course, I don't know if they knew this or not.  But I
do.

So, you put the teams that draw the best in the one (of 2 buildings)
that is not guarranteed a sellout.  Let's face it, the more people you
put in Albany, the better it looks.

>2) I am impressed that Kurt Stutt managed to come up with a system where
>RPI would get a bye last year.  It even sounded logical on first read.
>Then on second read it became apparent to me that too much weight is
>being given to games within conference for selecting the four at-large
>teams after each league gets two teams.  (I wrote this at home prior to
>receiving the Hockey-L Digest containing Wayne Smith's statement to the
>same effect as the last sentence.)

I think I explained it fully when, before I originally proposed my
system, I said:  "This system is not fair, isn't intended to be, and
never will be."  I honestly didn't know it would put RPI at #2E in
last year's tournament.  Just happened that way.

>Now if Kurt can only come up with some logic under which a 10-22-3 team
>can make the tourney this year.  Let's see, we got to somehow weight the
>two victories over Air Force a lot.  :-)

Don't worry.  I'll get to work on this soon and get something out.

Kurt Stutt