From:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 12:28:10 -0400
  Laker fans have had a multitude
>of local regionals to attend.  Lowell has had NONE.  Having a local NC$$
>appearance for your team is the raw red meat you can build a program on.  And
>Lowell had every reason to believe it had earned that this year.
>
>Well established programs don't have to worry about feeding the fan base.  It
>has already become self-perpetuating.  Emerging programs like Lowell do have
>to work at the fan base.  Especially with a 6000+ seat arena going up in
>another year.

Okay, a couple of days ago, the problem was that the decision to keep a
certain eastern team at home was because they had better fan support than
Lowell.  Today, the argument is that Lowell is getting fan support, and
thus should be seeded in the East because that fan support can grow even
larger.

I say if this is the reason to seed teams in the East, we have the wrong
teams there.  Vermont doesn't need help with increasing fan support.  Nor
does Clarkson or Cornell.  Who needs the most help?  Dartmouth.  They are
the ones who really got screwed.  Think about how many fans Thompson would
pack in next year if they had only gotten one of those eastern bids.  How
can the NCAA ignore this program year after year?  Why, they should have
taken Lake State's bid and given it to the Big Green.  After all, Lake
State has had its turn in the national tournament.  It's time to give
another program a chance.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
1996 ECAC Champions!