From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 1991 02:23:01 EST
Stephen Leroy writes:
>	I'm new to this mailing list, and I must thank you guys for
>keeping me up to date on what's going on in hockey these days.  On the
>other hand, I must say that this controversy over the Ivy league and its
>sports policy is getting a little old--and there have been way too many
>needlessly inflammatory things said.  Let's leave well enough alone and
>talk hockey instead.

I disagree, there have not been many inflammatory things said unless you
simply don't want to hear criticism.  I believe there is a basis for the
things I've said and I actually look forward to hearing what those with
an opposite viewpoint have to say.  It does have a definite relevance to the
game of college hockey - at least as much as Zambonis running over someone's
nose (sorry, Jim :-)).  As long as the comments are kept civil and we don't
beat it to death, I think it is healthy for discussion like this to take
place.  That's what this list is for.

I do have strong views on certain subjects and as you can tell I'm not afraid
to express them :-), but I also am not set in my ways, and I like to hear
things that people with other views have to say because they make me aware of
things I didn't think of before.  And I believe most people here are like that.

>	By the way, there are some hockey teams out on the west coast here,
>and, believe it or not, Caltech is the latest addition to Div I!

Just one quick point - actually, Caltech and the other teams mentioned are
not true DivI, they are really club teams.  I know next to nothing about the
club hockey scene, so perhaps you are referring to a divisional alignment
of club teams called DivI, etc. but these are not part of the NC** divisional
alignment that Cornell, BC, Minnesota, etc. compete in.  The last real DivI
team in California was US International, which stopped playing hockey (and
everything else) after 1987-88.  But thanks for bringing this up and I hope
that you and other California fans will keep us updated on how the programs
out there are doing!  Maybe someday major college hockey will truly stretch
from coast-to-coast in the continental US.
---
Mike Machnik        [log in to unmask]       [log in to unmask]