From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 18:33:51 -0500
On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Steven M. Bernhardt wrote:
> One VERY big bright spot from Friday night's game was the butt-kicking Mike
> Anderson put on the player (name ?) from Wisconsin!  Man he rocked that guy
> with some nice over-hand rights!  For a guy that has done very little this
> season, his showing in that fight raised his credibility about five notches.
> This fight could be the boost the Gophers need in bring this team together
> during VERY trying times.

  * Mounting my soapbox - FLAME ON *

  If you consider this a bright spot in the Gopher's play of late, then IMHO
you're a fan of the wrong sport, or at least the brand of hockey as it's
practiced at the intercollegiate level. Perhaps the ECHL, the IHL, and to
some extent the NHL must cater to the neanderthal fringe as a marketing ploy,
but there's NO place or need for this in the college game to make it exciting
and a joy/pleasure to watch. Just how does taking out your frustration by
pounding the crap out of someone - thereby putting your team a man down at a
minimum and likely dq'ing yourself for the next game - *constructively* help
THE TEAM !! Don't blather to me about "team unity" and "showing heart," etc.;
resorting to sustained fisticuffs is not, repeat NOT, an acceptable recourse.
It's deplorable .... I don't recall the Gophers having conducted themselves
this way when in the midst of that long unbeaten string; could it be that
inspired team play in the skill parts of the game could obviate any need to
fight ??  Gee, imagine that ....

  Go watch The Moose play if it's fighting you want/crave, and let the skill
aspect of the sport that's so marvelously showcased at the college level get
the attention and respect it deserves ....

  * FLAME OFF *

  Cheers from the Chesapeake - Jim
  Go Blue !!