From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 10:49:15 -0500
Hi -

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Nathan Boyle wrote:
> And as for all this seeding talk....
>
> Frankly a lot of us will be thrilled just to make the NCAAs this year, it
> has been awhile!  It would be nice to add another banner to our collection.
>
> Nathan W.L. Boyle / BGSU's 1# fan

  Uh oh, this is the kiss of death ....  There is no dishonor in losing to
a worthy and (at least for one night) superior opponent, but this talk of
"thrilled to be here" and "moral" victories has never won a Championship
at any level, and - IMHO - is counterproductive.  Some will accuse me of
fostering a "victory over everything" attitude, a stance that has lead to
all manner of abuse / rules violations, but you would be misinterpreting
my meaning.  Does anyone think for a minute that BU, or Late State, goes
into the NC$$ Tournament each year "just happy to be here" ?!?  Winning
isn't "everything," but it's been my observation that no one ever gets to
that point without first believing that they *belong* there, a cocky, self-
confident attitude bordering on arrogance that Championship caliber teams
have in abundance ....

  Cheers from the Chesapeake - Jim