From:
"Kevin B. Powers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin B. Powers
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 18:12:56 -0500
>  Lawrence C. Weintraub wrote in part:
>
>[snip] Union's Achilles Rink is extremely quiet,

As a season ticket at Union College for the previous 3 seasons (I have since
returned to Clarkson), I would have to agree that Achilles Rink is
generally quiet, particularly when Union falls behind.  Last year, a
sound system and a horn (which sounds like a '72 Buick) were installed,
but that does not get the fans "into" the game.

>  Deron Treadwell wrote:
>
> Perhaps someone at Union can better comment on this, but when Maine played
> there earlier this year, it was very loud, and rather intimidating, even to
> a very seasoned road team like Maine.  I don't know if this is the
> exception, or the rule.

I attended the game against Maine earlier this year.  It was Union's second
home game of the year, they were 1-0-1 at the time, and the team had high
expectations.  Union skated with Maine for about a period and a
half before Maine's speed and depth finally got the better of Dutchmen with
two quick goals.  The crowd might have well gone home, because it got
extremely quiet when a 1 goal lead quickly became a 1 goal deficit.

The loudest I recall Achilles Rink getting, in the three seasons I
attended games, was the last home game 1994 when Union came back from a 2
goals down late in the third period to beat Colgate in regulation.  The
fans started chanting "We're #6" (Union finished 6th in the ECAC in their
3rd D-1 season after they were picked to finish last, again).  The place
has probably not been that loud since.

Kevin Powers