From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 05:15:39 EST
Yesterday, I commented upon the scoreboard situation at the RPI (Houston)
Field House.  I stated that when I was there, there were just small clocks
on each side of the ice, and then a four-sided scoreboard was installed
suspended from the ceiling.  Two responses have indicated that this was not
the case.  I did not remember that the suspended scoreboard was removed,
but there definitely was one there at one time.  I am pretty sure that
when I left RPI in 1974, the four-sided scoreboard was not yet installed.
I attended the Holiday tourney each year from 1974 to 1984.  (It moved the
next year to Thanksgiving which was inconvenient.)  I don't remember when
I first saw the four-sided scoreboard, but now that I think about it,
perhaps it was removed when the Field House was renovated.  Center ice at
that time was at a different location, and perhaps the scoreboard could not
be reinstalled at the new location.  It is also possible that because so
many poles were removed at that time, that ceiling was no longer capable of
holding the weight of the scoreboard at center ice.

Somebody out there must know the history of this.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74

Ralph N. Baer
Naval Research Laboratory     Code 7142     Washington, DC 20375-5350
Ph: (202) 767-3173         FAX: (202) 404-7732