From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 16:20:49 EST
Deron's interesting comments about UMass-Lowell in the Guvnuh's Cup are
certainly thought provoking to UML and HE fans.

>  the defense and goaltending while not perfect is solid

Any Lowell fan that endured their goaltending last year -- clearly the worst in
Hockey East the year after having the best with Dwayne Roloson during 1994 --
might be surprised at Fillion's solid play.  After all, last year's netminders
were the same Fillion and Lindsey (plus Fankhouser who has gone to play juniors
for a year).  Was Fankhouser some evil influence that spread incompetence
in the crease?  Clearly no, but Crowder has admitted that it was
a mistake to have three unproven goalies last year.  In roughly his words,
"no one had a chance to work themselves out of a bad game or put together a
string of good games."  That problem has been corrected and now given
sufficient opportunity Fillion has "put together a string of good games" and
won Hockey-East Player of the Week last week.  Still, Lowell fans could be
forgiven for withholding judgement prior to this weekend.  After all, UML had
yet to face The Iron.  But when Fillion and the defense lost to a number 4
ranked Vermont team 2-1, you had to notice.

It may well be that Fillion is emerging in the same way that Roloson did at
roughly the same age.  I doubt that many considered Rollie All-HE and Hobey
material after his sophomore year, but in that pivotal junior year he turned
it on and made himself into a top goalie.  We may be seeing the same type of
emergence.  It's still early, and Lindsey has not inspired faith in his
limited action, but Fillion could be The Guy that Lowell so clearly needs.

As for the defense, I find this much less surprising.  Coach Crowder considered
defense to be the strength of this year's team with Campbell, Nikolishin,
Barozzino, and Mayes forming a core with good experience under its belt.

> One could argue that this team may be as good or
> better than the 1994 Lowell team.

Deron, what you smokin'?  :-)  I have a lot of trouble seeing that one.  That
1994 squad came within a whisker of making the Final Four.  Could this squad
reach those heights?  I'm still having trouble seeing it.

However, although I gave UML no serious Top 10 consideration
before this weekend, I think they merit some thought now.  (I'm basing that
primarily on the Vermont game, since UNH seems to be in such disarray right
now.)  I'm not saying I'd actually put them in the top ten -- I haven't really
analyzed the other teams sufficiently -- but now it's at least worth
consideration.

Frankly, I thought Crowder, Daw, and Mayes were nuts when they talked about a
goal of making the NC$$s.  But there now seems to be a glimmer at the end of
the tunnel.  The jury is still out -- way out -- IMO but I'm starting to think
that the chances have jumped from less than 1% to perhaps 10%.  I think we'll
all have a much better read after the Maine series in two weeks.  I'm gettin'
pumped already.

> There are similarities between this team
> and last year's Maine team as well.

Although UML has no one comparable to an Imes, I can see them becoming one of
those lunchpail type teams that seems to beat teams that have more talent.
It's still *very* early, but Lowell fans have to be encouraged by what they see.

IMO Crowder goes to deification status if they make the NC$$s.  Of course, if
the wheels fall off and they stink when they play more of the tough teams,
then in some minds he goes from deification status to defication status.  :-)

It is definitely getting *very* interesting.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson    "Robo"     [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!      Go Canucks! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!      Go BU!!         Go Maine! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*