From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 12:14:58 -0500
Mike Jackman writes:
>There have been several rumors floating on the Hockey-L and in the local
>papers about WABU-TV 68 televising Harvard hockey games. I can tell you as
>a representative of Harvard Sports Information that 68 last week informed
>us that--unfortunately for area hockey fans--they are NOT planning to
>broadcast any Harvard games at this time.

I should have re-titled this, "WABU *not* to do more non-BU games".
Now that it is Monday, I just talked with someone at WABU who went
over the remaining schedule and not only are there no Harvard games on
it as Mike says, but there are no other non-BU games except for the
Beanpot and the Badger Showdown (of which WABU will be doing
BU-Princeton and both the consolation and championship).  The Harvard
games fell through.

It sounds like WABU chose to do the UNH-Merrimack game mainly because
of their affiliate in NH, and they wanted to see how it drew.  The
answer is, unfortunately, not very good...I was quoted a Nielsen
rating of only .1.  There will be no other non-BU HE games the rest of
the season.

It also sounds like even BU games are not doing well, and there may be
a cutback on hockey across the board next season.  I guess people who
watch could call to let them know they appreciate the coverage, but
you'd be better off finding the households with the Nielsen boxes and
voting that way...
Mike Machnik                 [log in to unmask]           [log in to unmask]
*****      Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page located at:        *****
***** http://www.tiac.net/users/machnik/MChockey/MChockey.html      *****