Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 07:59:02 -0600
As to the dividing the WCHA into divisions, I must admit that I don't like
the idea, but I can't give any good reasons as to why not.  It might be a
matter of missing some teams I've gotten used to playing.  I may well be
that the whole concept is just something I associate with SEC football, and
I want to reject it purely on that entirely arbitrary grounds.  Whatever,
it's purely a matter of aesthetics.
  I'm less keen on adding more teams to the league.  If two were going to
be added, I assume that one would be Mankato State.  I guess the other
would be Bemidji State (unless Air Force wanted to join).  I'm worried
about the same thing happening here as did when the CCHA expanded a few
years back.  Kent State disappeared pretty quick and Notre Dame seems to
have merely added to the problem of the CCHA having a glut of programs that
don't seem capable of putting anything together.
  I'll admit that my worries about the same thing when the WCHA expanded at
the same time have been at least half groundless.  I've really enjoyed the
addition of St. Cloud; Craig Dahl has done a fine job with that program.
The two Alaska schools largely pose problems that aren't solvable by any
means.  I'm still hoping that Anchorage can pick itself up, but I'm not
sure that it's going to be possible to overcome the effect of that much
travel.
  So, I remain dubious, but concede the possibility that I'm simply hunting
for rocks to find a problem under.

J. Michael Jackson