From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 1995 22:47:48 -0500
Tony wrote (with regard to UAF's "vacation"):
>Seriously, was this just a coincidence, unfortunate circumstance or what.
>Seems like once the season gets started you want to have at least a game
>each weekend, no?

Not really an unfortunate circummstance.  It would appear to be more scheduled
that way.

Since UAF hosts 5 teams for 3-game series, that's going to leave a few weekends
open.  (And most of those schools have tried to schedule those during breaks,
such as MSU's trip up there Jan. 4-6.)  After the weekend trip to Michigan,
they go home to play BG 3 times (Nov. 23,24,25), have a weekend off, go to
OSU and Miami (Dec. 8,9), go home for UIC for 3 (Dec. 14,15,16), then are off
until MSU.  They have an extended trip to the lower 48 in mid-January (with
5 games in 2 weeks) then don't play until early February.  They have one more
weekend off in February and finish up with Western at home at the end of Feb-
ruary/beginning of March.

They're sort of at the mercy of the teams that need to play in Alaska (though
I would imagine the CCHA did try to get them as workable a schedule as
possible).  Though I agree with you, three weeks is a long hiatus.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University 7-2-0, 9-3-0