From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 01:05:41 -0100
As a followup to Wayne's message introducing the changes in the college
hockey lists, I'd like to add a few of my own thoughts.  This message is
going to both the HOCKEY-L and INFO-HOCKEY-L lists, so those of you
subscribed to both lists (or HOCKEY-D) will see this twice.

(Note: Please do not discuss this message or the topic on the lists
themselves.  This is an administrative message, and only the list
administrators should post these messages to HOCKEY-L & INFO-HOCKEY-L.)

First, I am happy to join Wayne Smith and Pete Kester as a co-owner of the
lists at University of Maine System.  Pete has been in charge of HOCKEY3
for three years now and will continue as it moves to UMS.  And as some may
know, I began what is now HOCKEY-L back in 1989 and owned it for a year
until Wayne took over in 1990.  So, this is a sort of homecoming for me.

I hope that together we can help take some of the workload off Wayne and
make the College Hockey Lists a better place for everyone.  I also thank
Wayne and UMS for their many years of hosting HOCKEY-L and their efforts
at designing a new structure of lists that should serve us all well.

My responsibilities as co-owner, though not limited to this, will revolve
chiefly around the overseeing of content and related issues on HOCKEY-L
and INFO-HOCKEY-L.  I will also be able to help you with problems or
answer any other questions about the lists you may have, and I encourage
you to drop me a line if you have any thoughts.

Now, a few notes about what is new and the reasoning behind the changes as
it relates to HOCKEY-L and INFO-HOCKEY-L.  This is in addition to the
message Wayne posted to HOCKEY-L and does not supersede anything in his
message.

In the past, HOCKEY-L was for all discussion and information related to
college hockey.  However, the amount and in some cases, the type of traffic
on HOCKEY-L had become too unbearable for many folks.  Each of the last
two summers, discussion has been held on the College Hockey Meta Discussion
List (HOCKEY) to see if we could find a solution that would answer some of
the basic concerns.

The result was the decision to divide the list such that people who wished
to receive only information could do so without wading through all of the
discussion that also takes place.  So, we have a new list: INFO-HOCKEY-L.

* INFO-HOCKEY-L is, as Wayne explained, for INFORMATION ONLY.  There will
be no discussion allowed on this list.  This will be enforced strictly in
order to maintain the integrity and purpose of the list.  I ask you to
look at the HOCKEY-L WELCOME (which now encompasses all of the College
Hockey Lists) for examples of what will be considered acceptable.  To obtain
the file, send mail to [log in to unmask] and in the body, enter

   get hockey-l welcome

I may provide reminders of this as we go along if it is necessary.  Please
remember to post your informational articles to INFO-HOCKEY-L, because there
will be subscribers who do not read HOCKEY-L - and because...

* HOCKEY-L has changed to be discussion-oriented.  HOCKEY-L is the place
to discuss posts made to INFO-HOCKEY-L.  Please redirect your replies to
INFO-HOCKEY-L articles to go to either the sender or HOCKEY-L.  However,
do *not* post to both HOCKEY-L and INFO-HOCKEY-L.

Currently, anyone subscribed to INFO-HOCKEY-L (and HOCKEY-L) may post to it.
I believe this policy to be the best one because it keeps the list open to
everyone to continue posting information about college hockey to it, and
also because I believe people will be able to understand the distinction
between the two lists and to send things to the right places.  However,
we reserve the right to revisit this policy at a later date if it turns out
that things are not working as hoped.

It's important to note that there is still a good amount of flexibility
afforded subscribers in the change to two lists.  The WELCOME provides
some suggested guidelines on posting to INFO-HOCKEY-L, but in general, if
you have a post that is informational and used to go to HOCKEY-L, it should
go to INFO-HOCKEY-L and is welcome there.

All we ask is that you send discussion to HOCKEY-L and information to
INFO-HOCKEY-L.  I expect there will be a period of people getting
accustomed to what's new, but in the long run, a little bit of effort will
pay off tenfold.

There are a couple of other changes you may have already noted or become
aware of, including:

* Posts to HOCKEY-L and INFO-HOCKEY-L will now have a "banner" added to
the end of the message.  This is a short reminder of what the list is for
(discussion/information), and hopefully it will help keep us on topic.

* There is now the capability for moderation of the first message of new
posters to the lists.  The administrators receive copies of these posts
and can then approve them (or not).  This should also help us ensure that
new subscribers post to the right list and cut off some problem posts.  As
an example, just tonight I received a request for approval from LISTSERV
regarding an attempted spam of HOCKEY-L - ironically, dealing with "How
to Spam on the Internet".  (I didn't approve it. :-))

Finally, if you wish to discuss my comments or the changes, please do so
on the list HOCKEY or by email to the administrators, not on the lists
themselves.

The changes were made only after almost two years of discussion among
HOCKEY-L members about what could be done to make things better.  They
were made with you in mind and as a result of concerns you voiced.  But,
the effort will only be successful if you also make the effort to understand
what's new and help us keep the lists going in their new directions.

Thanks for your time and consideration, and I look forward to another
interesting and exciting year on HOCKEY-L...and INFO-HOCKEY-L.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93
***** Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page under construction at:  *****