From:
Jim Thies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Thies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 12:53:23 -0400
Mike Machnik writes
>Info from THE NCAA NEWS (19 July 1995):
>
>Two hockey players were named to the GTE Academic
>All-American team (Men's University Division, all sports),
>and both were honored with first team selection:
>
>  Brian Holzinger, BGSU, 3.290 in business
>  Jacques Joubert, BU, 3.560 in sociology

>Does anyone know how the GPAs are determined for this >honor?

>Reason I ask is, Joubert did not make the HE Academic
>Honor Roll, which is an honor bestowed upon every HE >player who has
a combined GPA of 3.0 or better in the two
>semesters during the season.

Following are the guidelines for nomination to the GTE CoSIDA
Academic All-America team.

The nominee must be a starter or important reserve with legitimate
athletic credentials and at least a 3.2 cumulative grade point
average (4.0) scale. He/she must have reached sophomore athletic and
academic standing at the institution (true freshmen, red-shirt
freshmen and ineligible athletic transfers are not eligible) and must
have completed at least one full academic year at the institution.
Nominated athletes must have participated in 50 percent of the team's
game at the position listed on the nomination form.

It appears the key here is the requirement of a 3.2 cumulative GPA.

Jim Thies
UW-River Falls