From:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 May 1995 22:00:07 -0400
The FAQ is in the archives and ready to be retrieved so it can answer your
most burning questions about Hockey-L (or at least the most common ones:-).
One size fits all!  There's something for everyone!  Check it out!  To
whet your appetite, I've included the beginning of the FAQ below, which
tells how to get it and what is in the document.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
Let's Go Red!

The Hockey-L Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The Hockey-L Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) is a compilation of questions
and answers to help members of the list take full advantage of the
resources Hockey-L has to offer.  Be sure to keep it for handy reference,
as it contains information every member of the list will use.  To retrieve
the most recent copy of this document, send the command GET HOCKEY-L FAQ to
[log in to unmask]  Should you have any questions or comments about
the FAQ, please send them to the caretaker of this FAQ, Paulette Dwen
([log in to unmask]) or address them to the list administrator, Wayne Smith

Outline of Contents

I.  About the list
    A. What is Hockey-L?
    B. How does the Listserv work?

II. Your subscription
    A. How do I subscribe to Hockey-L?
    B. How do I sign off Hockey-L? (unsubscribing)
    C. Can I get just the scores?
    D. What should I do when I'm on vacation? (INDEX, DIGEST)

III.Archive files
    A. What is in the archives?
    B. How do I retrieve a file?
    C. When should I do a search, and how do I do it?

IV. Writing articles
    A. What can be sent to the list?
    B. What should go into a good article?
    C. How do I send a Hockey-L article to the list?

V.  Things inappropriate for Hockey-L
    A. Is there anything I shouldn't send to the list?
    B. What about rumors?

VI. Common problems and general netiquette
    A. What mail address should I use?
    B. How can I get team schedules, etc?
    C. When do I take a discussion off-line?
    D. What do I do if I have a problem?

VII.Other hockey sources on the net
    A. Are there other hockey lists?
    B. What about other sources on the Internet?

VIII.General information about the Division I teams
    A. What are the four conferences?
    B. What are the independents?
    C. Where can I find out more about a particular team?
    D. What are the playoff formats for each conference?

IX. NCAA or NC$$
    A. Why the dollar signs?
    B. Why the PH's in Phinal Phour?
    C. What is the format for the NCAA tournament?
    D. What is the selection criteria for awarding tournament bids?
    E. Where will future Phinal Phours be held?

X.  ACHA
    A. What is the ACHA, and how does it differ from the NCAA?
    B. Where can I find out more about the ACHA?

XI. Women's hockey
    A. How does it differ from men's hockey?
    B. What is the conference format for women's Div. I hockey?
    C. Where can I get more information about schedules and
       standings?

XII.Canadian college hockey
    A. What is the CIAU?
    B. Who plays CIAU hockey?
    C. Do CIAU players ever make it to the NHL?
    D. What are the main differences between the CIAU and the NC$$?
    E. Where do the players come from?
    F. What are the major rules changes from other types of hockey?
    G. Is there inter-conference play?
    H. How long is the season?
    I. Is there a national championship?

XIII.Ratings and polls
    A. What are the ratings posted to Hockey-L?
    B. What are the polls posted to Hockey-L?

XIV.Publications
    A. How can I get an NCAA rulebook?
    B. What about newsletters and magazines?

XV. Hockey-L culture
    A. How was the list started?
    B. What is a ceramic dalmatian?
    C. How do I get one of those cool Hockey-L T-shirts/buttons?
    D. What is an "Ogre?"