From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 18:26:04 -0700
 On the thread of getting more TV exposure for "our" game, it dawned on me
is what some of us want is just more TV games!  Some of us are not located
where we can go to live games regularly (or at all :-))  .....  I, for
one, think it will be a warm day in Hades if west coast or southern
universities add teams, between expense, travel, and gender equity issues,
as we talked about last summer, I think that is a dead issue for the
forseeable future.

I must agree with Ralph Baer.  I am not sure I would trade expansion for
more TV games.  I think expansion into the big universities would mean the
Clarksons, RPIs, LSSUs, etc, would be dead. There is no way they can
recruit with them.  The little guys barely hold there own now (over the
long term, of course, there are occasional anomalies!).  This may be a
moot question, but I would not like to see expansion at the expense of
losing the DIII schools that play hockey at the DI level. These schools
have a rich hockey tradition, and college hockey is one of the few sports
I know of where the little guys get to play the Big guys fairly even up
(yes RPI did lose to Minnesota 3-0, you can't win em all.)  I find it fun
to be able that RPI plays schools like that and I think college hockey
would miss a big piece of what makes it fun if the sport really went big
time.  Of course, IMHO, that would lead to all kinds of abuse like we see
in big time basketball and football, but let us not get into that again!

Tony Buffa
RPI '64