From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 00:42:52 EDT
Deron wrote, in part ..
>Assuming that the NCAA does of course finish their investigation at some
>point *smile*, would those of you who look at the Maine program in "bad"
>light think differently if Shawn Walsh was no longer the coach?
>
>It is my personal opinion that while I think Walsh is a good coach, I would
>not cry if he was to leave either.  I think it would help Maine shed some of
>this bad light, since many look at him at the ring leader of some of the
>violations.

My answer: why should we care about anyone's answer to this?

The NCAA violations, as reported, have relatively little to do with
Walsh, but show a systemic problem that U Maine had, and that Maine
appears determined to avoid in the future.

It's my personal opinion that Shawn Walsh is a GREAT coach that any
college hockey school in the country would find top-notch if they had
him and saw him work.

It's also my personal opinion that any individual wanting Maine to do
something because they've read newspaper reports and view Walsh is a
"ring leader" has too much time on their hands and their opinions are
not my concern nor worthy of my time.

Show me the NCAA report!

I'm one that doesn't look forward to seeing it, because every one of
those NCAA rule violations hurts this Maine fan, but somehow I feel
confident that the final report will be based on fact, not the emotions,
bias and innuendo that seem to dominate what we hear from some reporters
and often on HOCKEY-L.  :-(

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]