From:
David Weinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Weinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 00:13:31 -0500
On Tue, 18 Apr 1995, James Endress wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 1995, Tony Buffa wrote:
> (Edited)

> > At my home institution, we hire new PHD's at under 35K per year (almost
> > poverty in Calif, and certainly almost never get married people at that
> > level) ... people who have been thru 4 years of undergrad and up to 10 of
> > grad and postdocs..... our max salary (attained after about 20 years if
> > you are kept) is 61K.  And we are getting raked over the coals for not
> > being able to attract minority faculty .... !
> >
> > What a hypocritical arena
> > DI athletics has become. The presidents OK six figure salaries for
> > athletic directors and coaches, and let the faculty recruiting go to hell.
> >  One of these days, it will all come home to roost.
> >
> > Tony Buffa
> > RPI '64
> > U of Illinois '66
> > U of Illinois '69
> >
> > Physics Dept, Cal Poly, SLO
> >
> Supply and demand.  When there are too few PhD's and too many hockey
> coaches, the salaries will change.
>
> James

Unfortunely supply and demand has little to do with.  The Communication
Dept. here at university has only been able to fill 4 of 7 faculty
positions the last two years and next fall will reduce the number of TAs
hired.  Meanwhile the University has just built a new $25 million
athletic facality.  Somebody's priorites are messed up.

David