From:
Scott Monaghan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 17:06:33 -0500
On Tue, 18 Apr 1995, James Endress wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 1995, Tony Buffa wrote:
> (Edited)
> > >     Geiger said OSU is ready to pay the going rate for a top-level
> > > college hockey coach, which may be about $80,000 a year. Jerry
> > > Welsh, who resigned in February, earned $43,000 this year, which
> > > ranked him among the lowest-paid Division I coaches.
> > >
> > =================
> >
> > At my home institution, we hire new PHD's at under 35K per year (almost
> > poverty in Calif, and certainly almost never get married people at that
> > level) ... people who have been thru 4 years of undergrad and up to 10 of
> > grad and postdocs..... our max salary (attained after about 20 years if
> > you are kept) is 61K.  And we are getting raked over the coals for not
> > being able to attract minority faculty .... !
> >
> > What a hypocritical arena
> > DI athletics has become. The presidents OK six figure salaries for
> > athletic directors and coaches, and let the faculty recruiting go to hell.
> >  One of these days, it will all come home to roost.
> >
> > Tony Buffa
> > RPI '64
> > U of Illinois '66
> > U of Illinois '69
> >
> > Physics Dept, Cal Poly, SLO
> >
> Supply and demand.  When there are too few PhD's and too many hockey
> coaches, the salaries will change.
>
> James

Excellent point,  James.  Also,  in many cases athletic budgets are not
necessarily tied to the structure for faculty pay,  which is often
dictated by a union contract.  A union employee is not "at-will",  so to
speak.  A hockey coach,  or any other coach,  at that type of salary has
little job security.  This isn't to say that the salaries being paid may
not be high,  but the demand is there.  This is also the eternal problem
of "look what athletics gets".

Scott Monaghan
LSSU