From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 14:57:24 -0500
Well, it's that time of year again -- LET'S TRY TO GET AS MANY FLAMES IN
MY MAILBOX AS POSSIBLE!!!!

It IS probably the most tense, nerve-wracking, and stress-laced time of
the season. Teams are on the proverbial bubble as far as conference
playoffs are concerned (at least in the ECAC!), teams want to win their
repective conference's regular season championship, and all of their
fans are griping & moaning at each other!

[Comment time...]

Regarding the Brown Pep band complaint, I wasn't at the game, but I think
I could understand why the poster was so upset. The only time I've been
at RPI when the visiting team's band showed up was when Clarkson came to
town, but I can (sort of) sympathize with the Brown band member. The Clarkson
pep band was (and still is) always put in the far back right corner of the
seats as you enter the fieldhouse. So, the band was facing the RPI band
and not the ice. Whenever Clarkson's band would play, you could barely hear
them, no matter where in the fieldhouse you were sitting. Of course, the
acoustics in the fieldhouse were never the best, IMO. I won't comment on
why the visiting bands are always put in that spot, but it certainly
doesn't make sense to me. I know someone who was in the Clarkson pep band for
4 years and this person told that she had the most fun playing at the games
and "competing" with the other band present. What I mean is, each band
would respect each other when the opposing band would begin to play. There
was no attempt at drowning out the other band. It was just good, clean
fun. It wouldn't seem fun to me if every time I tried to play, I was blasted
by the home team's band.

The RPI band sits at one end of the ice, facing the action. You'd be able to
hear the RPI band from any spot in the fieldhouse. You wouldn't be able to
hear the visiting team's band at all. Can somebody offer me an explanation
why the visiting band is placed where they are? I, myself, don't see the
point of putting them where nobody can hear them.

[Comment #2]

I have no problem with people having their opinions on who will win the
ECAC regular season, tourney, etc. However, I think we should refrain
from posting these opinions until they are warranted, i.e., when the
season ends and before the tourney begins. I think this is why Mr.
Finniss has his contest AFTER the season ends. I have my opinions on who
will win the ECAC, but I also have my HOPES as to who will win the ECAC.
There is a difference, believe it or not!

[General comment]

I think we all should keep in mind that since this is the hair-pulling
portion of the season, the flames towards any individual, team, or even
players should not be taken personally. Let's try and have some fun while
watching the hair-pulling, yet (IMHO) the most exciting part of the college
hockey season!

Just my 2 cents. Flames and replies welcome.

+  Andy Weise                 Let's Go Tech!!     [log in to unmask]  +
=  SUNY Potsdam '93                                                       =
+  Union College '95?         Let's Go U!!        [log in to unmask] +