From:
"Lowell D. King" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lowell D. King
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 00:56:16 PST
In Adam Wodon's message, a correction is needed:

He states that "Harvard pounded Anchorage twice", that isn't correct, they
didn't play each other -- he probably is referring to Alaska-Fairbanks.

In commenting on the subject, Alaska-Anchorage (the bottom team in the WCHA)
played four top ten teams (at game time) since January 6th and beat each team
once (split the series). These were: Colorado College, Denver, Wisconsin, and
Minnesota. I wouldn't venture a guess as to how this team (again, the bottom
WCHA team) might do against the ECAC teams. The most consistent fact is that
they are undependable - can't depend on them to Win or Lose! However (as
demonstrated in Janurary, early February), they CAN win against top ten teams.
There lifetime record against ECAC teams is 4-4-2. Bottom line -- IMO, any
WCHA team COULD BE competitive against any ECAC team (or probably vice versa),
I think that other factors would determine the outcome; i.e. attitude,
interest, injuries, location, rink, etc. Also, I heard recently that the WCHA
will soon have 7 sheets of Olympic size ice versus 1 (Harvard) for all the
other Div. I schools (don't think that is totally accurate, but close). This
does impact playing style.

As far as the WCHA is concerned, the most consistent comment is that any team
can beat any other team at any given time -- the parity is very close (with
the possible exception of CC and Denver). An example, the last place team is 2
points out of sixth place. I'd be surprised if any WCHA team makes it to the
final game, although I would give Denver the best chance.

Lastly, there seems to be alot of comment about a lack of "stars", dominant
teams, and a lower quality of play (i.e. we don't have many "big name"
players). It's sort of funny, but the same comment is being made in the NHL
where only three teams are strong offensively. College Div. I seems to be in
the same boat -- teams are trying to win on defensive strength and
capitalizing on a mistake by the other team. I wonder if that's a sign of
lower overall player quality OR has the general playing ability jumped up a
few notches?? We certainly are producing many more Div. I players than we did
5-10 years ago.

Lowell King
Go SeaWolves (Alaska-Anchorage)