From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 1995 17:02:35 -0500
--> Greg Weintraub Wrote:

>The same problem is apparent in Hockey East.  BU and Maine met 3 times in
>7 days following Thanksgiving.  The teams have met 4 times, the most
>recent being December 3rd. BU is notorious for faltering early only to
>find some consistancy later in the season.

Let's not forget however, that when Maine beat BU in LA, that Boston
University was #1 in the country, so they hadn't had too many problems at
that point.  That game in LA was one of the better games I've seen, it was
back and forth, and came down to who made the error.  A great game!

>Many believed that the
>regular season race in HE ended back in December, although we still have
>our dreams (let's go Lowell in Orono :)  BU has been trying to catch
>Maine for the last two + months, and time is running out (please, Lowell :)

Certainly we didn't think the HE race was over.  BU has been breathing down
Maine's neck all year, and Maine is so young and untested, I've been waiting
for them to falter, but they are so close right now, us fans can taste it.
Yes.. it tastes like.. River Hawk! <smile>

>It's a shame these two teams, both playing possibly their best hockey of
>the season right now, won't get a chance to meet for another month (mark
>your calenders - March 18th, last college hockey game at the Garden).
>
>In light of streaks, slumps, slow starts and INJURIES, spreading the
>season series out will allow teams a chance to catch up, while benefiting
>the more consistant teams.

Mike Machnik and I were discussing this last week as he was explaining the
RPICH to me in detail and scheduling came up, and I said to him that it is
almost like a "chance".  This year, the Hockey East schedules were kinda
messed up at time because of UMA.  I'd perfer for Maine to play BU later in
the year, because the competition between these two teams is always so
heated that it is a really good measuring stick, but in all fairness to the
makers of the schedule, no one (even the most die-hard of fans) thought that
on Feb. 13 we'd be saying Maine is two games away from clinching Hockey East
either.  I was hoping for an above .500 finish, and a top 3 HE finish.  What
has happened is so very exciting, because they are very young.

Deron  Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
The University of Maine (26-2-6)  GO BLUE!!
The "Magic" Point Total is 10 and counting!