From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 1994 22:10:46 GMT
In just 48 hours the current goes up, or should I say, the puck is dropped,
on the 1994 edition of one of college hockey's oldest traditions--the RPI
Invitational, now under the sponsorship of formerly-locally-headquartered (I
know, too many hyphens) super-regional Key Bank.  Featuring the best field in
probably the last ten years, this one looks like a special Xmas treat to the
college hockey fans in the Capital District.

The most interesting question will be how the Maine Black Bears respond after
their shocking upset at the hands of the Prineton Tigers at their own Alfond
Fieldhouse.  Well maybe the drubbing the Tigers handed the Engineers a few weeks
back wasn't quite the surprise it seemed.  But anyway, I would look to see the
Black Bears take out their emotions on a Miami Redskin team that to date looks
pretty mediocre.  Of course it's hard to make any generalizations about how a
CCHA team will fare against an Eastern team, because we don't see them every
often.  I am particularly gratified to see this match-up, and hope their are
more forays by the CCHA to the East in coming years.  How about LSSU at the
tournament next year?  Or maybe grab a team from the recalcitrant WCHA?

The second game with Merrimack again facing off against the Engineers alshould
also command the fans' interest.  I think it would be unwise for any Engineer
fan to assume this one can be chalked up in the "W" column--just look at RPI's
home record against Hockey East.  The Engineers will have a lot of difficulty
skating through center ice against Merrimack's big defensemen.  I will go out on
a limb and say that the play of RPI's freshman will decide the outcome,
particularly forward Eric Healy and defenseman Brian Tapper, who seems to be in
a mini-slump right now.  The Engineers should be able to enjoy the services of
all their weapons at least, as the team should be healed up by now.

More blind speculation:
Tamburro will start against Merrimack.  If they win, he gets the start against
the Miami/Maine winner.  Otherwise Massotta gets a chance to show if practice
has improved his game.

The violinist will be rested for game one.  She will get the nod if the
Engineers make the final.

Mike Machnik and Jason Moy will square off in a shoot-out to determine which
league, Hockey East or the ECAC, should be considered superior.  The winner will
also receive a new 1995 Acura, compliments of Northeast Acura.

Any Hockey-Lers in attendance, especially out-of-towners, please look me up in
Section 6, Row E, seats 7 and 8.  Should be a great show!
Brian Morris                  Go RPI Engineers!
[log in to unmask]     Go Miami Redskins!
       or