From:
Ely Ben-Naim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ely Ben-Naim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 11:57:36 -0600
Concerning the boston globe:

  I am a BU fan myself and i generally agree that the BC gets the best
coverage in town. However I would like to put this in prespective:

1.   Boston is a "BC" town, unfortunately. BC alums dominate boston
   politics. A recent example is the football stadium expansion, before
   the mayoral elections, ALL of the candidates expressed their objection to
   the expansion and stood with the brighton-brookline-newton residents.
   Needless to say, most of them are BC grads and BC's expansion plan
   was approved.
      The globe mirrors the town, after all it is the BOSTON globe.

2.   The globe has the best sport section in the country. Specifically, i am
   sure no other daily newspaper has better COLLEGE sport coverage. The
   globe gives college hockey results of all division I and all the
   eastern division II-III scores. The globe also covers not so popular
   (from your average reader point of view) college sports such as
   soccer, field hockey etc. The globe should be praised for that. You
   can find stending in the varous divisions including small colleges in
   college foootball, basketball, soccer, filed hockey, hockey and more.
      I say that because i moved to chicago and i am shocked at the
   coverage here. No scores from the east in the tribune (Scores of the
   great western tournament had only the consolation game because there
   was no mid-western team in the championship game).  Travelling across
   the country i could not find a newspaper that has college sport
   coverage that even comes close, with tha  exception of  the USA today.
   From what i hear,  coverage in other college-hockey "literate" areas
   tends to be local in nature. May be it is a good idea to survey this
   issue in a detailed fashion.

3.   Over the past two years, BU hockety has been getting better coverage
   in the globe than BC or harvard. Often there is a full article about the
   BU game and only a few lines on the BC game. My fellow BU fans forgot
   to mention few articles in the globe about J.P.'s injury. BU will continue
   to get this kind of coverage as long as it is the most succesful team
   in town and a national contender. If any fans should have something to
   be frastrated about i'd say- NU fans. They are clearly overlooked not only
   by the printed media, but also by TV etc.

GO terriers!

eli