John W. Davis
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 14:53:35 EST

> This is in reponse to John Davis' comments that having the same schools
> in the tournament cannot make it the best.  Anyone outside Boston who has
> never been involved in the four schools cannot imagine the intensity with
> which the fans, never mind the teams, approach the game.  The toughest
> sports ticket in Boston is the Beanpot semis.  At the World Series,
> Stanley Cup, or NBA final there are always scalpers.  NO ONE gives up a
> Beanpot ticket.  Of course there are always disappointed fans looking to
> "reallocate" their finals tickets.  Fortunately, since I have been
> involved with BU (1970) this has virtually never been a problem
> personally.  When one goes to work, or any social event in the city,
> after games and during the week, one reminds, or is reminded, of who won
> or lost.  This can only happen in the unique enviroment of
> Boston/Cambridge with four teams within such a short distance.  I'm sure
> the quality of the hockey is as good elsewhere, but *every* play is
> cheered at the Beanpot with all the team's fans there.  I am not trying
> to knock other tournaments, but none are like the Beanpot.
>
>                         Arthur Berman BU 74, Harvard 90
>                         GO BU!!!

You're absolutely right, I'm sure, about the excitement the tourney creates
in the Boston area.  But after the regional importance, I'm not sure
what the big deal is.  If I was in Boston at the time of the Beanpot I
would no doubt try to get tickets.  This has more to do
with my love of the game than any want to soak in tradition.

In and of itself, tradition doeasn't make an event great!  For example,
outside of people in the army or navy, who really cares about their football
game.  What is neat is that last year a less than good BC team won it.

(Also, I apoligize to Harvard fans-I forgot that Harvard made the Phinal
Phour last year)

A plus side of this tourney is it takes place during the season.
Most other tourneys take place during the christmas holiday and
this is when the junior world tourney is also going on.
Many teams lose some of their best players (or coach as in LSSU's
case) for these tourneys.

Good discussion, let's keep it going.  It's fun trading
banter with all you HE followers.

later
jd

ON WISCONSIN!