From:
Nate Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nate Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 22:03:32 -0500
>It seems to me that RPI has become one of the most
>respected institutions in the country, and has built an outstanding
>academic reputation (as well as hockey reputation) while being
>known mainly as RPI.  Why change?  What do our RPI friends think about this?
>
>Thanks,
>-Glenn

        You'd be surprised.  For a long time many people wer upset when they
tried t oreplace the bullet (RPI with a red circle around it) with the "bar"
(Rensselaer with a grey bar under it).  Officially, I think everything
(letterhead, signs, etc.) is supposed to have the bar on it.  However, last
year (haven't seen RPI play this year, since I'm not a student there
anymore), they still had the "puck guy" on their jerseys, which has the RPI
bullet in the middle of it.  They did, however, have the "bar" on their sleeves.

        I guess the general concesus at RPI is that the administration is
trying to change their image from a Tech school to a university (they're
awarding BA's now too).  Everyone is pushing for a more diverse campus and
student body.  RPI is know for it's engineers and scientists, and that's a
tough image to change.  Some of us wonder whether it's worth it.

                                                Nate
Nate Robinson
Research Assistant
Cornell University