From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 16:41:17 -0500
(Article taken from 11/14/94 "The Maine Campus")

RED HOT BLACK BEARS TIE, AND BEAT BC
by Larry Rogers Jr., Sports Editor

(BOSTON, MA)  The surging UMaine hockey team picked up eight Hockey East
points this weekend with a 4-4 shootout victory and a 3-1 win over the
Boston College Eagles.
        The Black Bears improved their overall record to 6-0-3, and remain
on top of Hockey East with a 3-0-3 league mark.  Maine is now the only
undefeated team in the nation (who has played more than three games).
        On Friday night at BC's Conte Forum, Maine and BC skated to a 4-4
tie after 60 minutes of regulation and five of overtime, leading to the
Black Bears' third shoot-out of the year.  Unlike the previous two
shootouts, Maine came out on top 2-1 to get the additional point in league
standings.
        The Eagles took a 3-1 lead into the third period before Maine stormed
back for three third-period goals to take a 4-3 lead.  Freshman winger Scott
Parmentier ignited the charge with a PPG 1:36 into the third period off a
nifty crossing pass from freshman Shawn Wansborough to cut into the lead,
3-2.  The two linemates combined for a goal and four assists.
        "I thought Parmentier and Wansborough took over the game" said head
coach Shawn Walsh.  "I thought those two guys stepped it up in the third
period and were the dominant two individuals on the ice in that period."
        Senior defenseman Dave MacIsaac tied the game at 3-3, after
Wansborough made another great pass across the crease to allow MacIsaac to
flip it by BC goaltender Greg Taylor.
        "We came out and everyone was pumped (in the third period)," said
Wansborough.  "We've got something good going, and don't want to start
losing that, so everyone just worked a little harder."
        Brad Purdie gave Maine the lead 4-3, scoring on another Maine
powerplay 17:58 into the period.  Parmentier set up the play after
intercepting a pass attempt by a BC defenseman attempting to clear out of
the Maine attack zone.  He then skated in on Taylor and got off a great pass
across the middle to Purdie, who beat Taylor to his left.
        "I knew I had to give the team a lift," said Parmentier.
"Especially on the power-plays."
        The lead didn't stand up for long, however, as BC's Dave Hymovitz
beat Allison with just 44 seconds remaining in the game.  The Eagles were in
a six on four on the play, after Chris Imes took a holding penalty and BC
coach Jerry York pulled his goalie Taylor for an extra skater.
        Jeff Tory scored Maine's first goal of the game, on the Bears' first
power-play.
        In the shoot-out, Barry Clukey beat Taylor to get his second SO goal
of the season and put Maine up 1-0.  MacIsaac blistered a short shot by
Taylor t secure the 2-1 SO win.  BC's Jamie O'Leary was the only Eagle to
get on past Maine's Blair Allison in the SO.
        Taylor finished with 28 saves on 32 shots, while Allison stopped 16
out of 20.
        On Sunday afternoon, the Black Bears' got goals from Chris Imes,
Jacque Rodrigue, and Dan Shermerhorn to lead them to a 3-1 victory.
        Shermerhorn sealed the win for Maine when he scored unassisted on an
empty net with just 57 seconds remaining.  Shermerhorn made a great block on
BC's Ken Hemeway and skated down the ice and scored his fourth of the season.
        Allison stopped 12 of 13 BC shots for his sixth win.
        The Eagles fell to 2-5-1 overall and 1-2-1 in HE.
----
(end of Article, other game notes to follow)
DERON TREADWELL - [log in to unmask] |
The Hockey Bears are back in '94! 6-0-3    |
               GO UMAINE!!!                |