From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 1994 15:20:17 +0000
Saturday, November 12, 1994
Achilles Rink, Schenctady, NY
ECAC League Game

Clarkson  1 2 0 0 - 3
Union     0 3 0 0 - 3

The box score was already posted by Andy Weise.

I wanted to add some of my own thoughts on this one.

The refs seemed to blow their whistles every time they took a breath..
All the penalties came in bunches - each team had 5-on-3 chances, and
at several points, each team had back-to-back power plays.  The
Clarkson 5-on-3 which took them from a 3-1 deficit to a 3-3 tie late
in the second was set up by a questionable call against Union's Cory
Holbrough right after the faceoff following Union's 3rd goal.  The
second call (a well-deserved boarding call against Scott Boyd)
probably would not have happened.  But give Clarkson credit - they
took advantage and scored 2 quick goals, neither of which Gallant had
much of a chance to save.  The officials also handled a scuffle midway
through the 2nd period very poorly.  After play was stopped for a
Clarkson holding penalty, a few players started pushing and shoving in
front of the Clarkson bench.  Usually in these situations, the
officials skate right over and break things up.  But these officials
just sat back and watched as the shoves turned to punches, and ended
up having to break up 2 scuffles and handed out 4 10-minute
misconducts.

As Andy said, Mike Gallant was the big story for Union.  The Dutchmen
had lots of chances, but would not have been in this one for long
without Gallant's outstanding game.  And this comes one night after
freshman Trevor Koenig played very well in the win over St. Lawrence.
It doesn't look like goaltending will be a problem for the Dutchmen.
The defense, however, allowed the 44 shots that Gallant faced.
They're not going to get away with that very often.

All three of Union's goals came in the second.  The first was a
shorthanded goal set up by a nice pass from Troy Stevens to Charlie
Moxham.  Jay Prentice put Union up 2-1 and less than a minute later,
Russ Monteith tipped Ryan Donovan's shot from the point with Union on
the power play.

A few more notes about this weekend's games:

- The Dutchmen have been using forward Troy Stevens on the point on
the power play.  I don't remember seeing Union use 4 forwards and 1
defenseman on the power play before this season.

- Friday was not a sellout, but I didn't see many empty seats.
Saturday's game sold out, which is to be expected with the numbers of
Clarkson alumni in the Capital District.  In past years, the Clarkson
crowd would outnumber the Union crowd, but now tickets just aren't
that easy to come by for visiting teams.  Of course the Clarkson band
was there, and did their best to overpower the new sound system.

- I mentioned last week that Union dedicated their new "Spirit Horn"
before the Army game, but that it was really not very loud.  Well,
they fixed that.  It's nice and loud now.

- I met up with another HOCKEY-L person, Tim Danehy, at the SLU game.
Tim brought along an SLU schedule with the ticket office phone, making
it the first in-person addition to the hockey-l team information file.

The tie puts Union at 1-0-1 in the ECAC and 3-1-1 overall.  The
Dutchmen will face an old rival from the Division III days when Elmira
visits Achilles next Saturday.
--
| This report and much more information on Union Hockey including schedules,|
| rosters, team photos, and game reports can be found on the World Wide Web |