From:
"Lee P. Sveinson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee P. Sveinson
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 1994 11:53:27 -0600
  There was quite a showdown in Grand Forks, North Dakota between the
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and the Golden Gophers of
Minnestoa.
  The Gophers, being ranked #1 in the nation, were expected to sweep the
Sioux.  Well, being a heated rivalry, anything can happen.
  Friday night, the Sioux jumped out to an early lead, and the local fans
thought the unthinkable was going to happen, a victory over the Gophers.
Well, there was disappointment in Grand Forks.  The Gophers showed what
they were made of and made a third period come back to tie the game at 4
to 4 with one second left.
  On Saturday night, the Sioux again jumped out to an early lead.  By the
third period the Sioux were out to an impressive 4-0 lead.  Again the
Gophers tried to battle back into the game.  After being dominated for
two and a half periods, the Gophers scored three consecutive goals.  I
have to admit the the entire crowd had thoughts of a Gopher comeback.
With 15 seconds left, a Gopher bounced the puck off of the goal post.
In the end, the Sioux held of for a 4-3 win.
  What the score of either game didn't show, was what a physical game
this was.  Both teams let the bodies fly.
  The Sioux finally have proven that they can play with anyone in the
division.  The next step is to be consistent!!!
  Even though I am a Sioux fan, I now understand why the Gophers are
ranked #1.  To score 3 goals with 10 minutes to go is not an easy thing
to do.  When the Gophers hit on all cyclinders, they are incredible.  If
they would have played that way in the First period instead of the Third
period, I am sure the scores would have been different.