From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 1994 22:54:24 -0500
Clarkson and Union skated to a 3-3 tie Saturday night at Achilles Rink
in Schenectady.

Clarkson apparently forgot how they played last night and played like
a top 15 team. They beat Union to the puck on many occasions, and virtually
outskated them for most of the game. The reason the game ended in a tie
was Mike Gallant. If the Union goalie didn't make several spectacular
saves, Clarkson might have turned it into a mini-rout. But, Gallant isn't
one of the better ECAC goaltenders for nothing.

The first period would have been scoreless, but Clarkson's JF Houle stole
a pass at the blue line and broke in short-handed for Clarkson's first goal.
A tightly-played first period gave way to a more wide-open second. Union
tallied three unanswered goals (one power-play and one short-handed) to
take a 3-1 lead. But, when things looked grim for the Golden Knights, they
got a 5-on-3 advantage near the end of the period and converted twice to
tie the game. The third period was a very tense one. Many opportunities for
Clarkson and Union, but nobody converted. OT was dominated by Clarkson, but
Gallant came up big again.

A couple notes:
-- As stated before, Clarkson played like a Top 15 team tonight. There was a
   different look and feel to the Knights as they out-hustled Union many
   times.
-- The goalies. I can't say enough about Gallant. I had my hands raised about
   8 or 9 different times where Mike saved the day. Clarkson's Dan Murphy
   looked more confident than Friday night, even though I was nervous every
   time the Dutchmen put a shot on goal. Murphy had his share of dramatic
   saves, especially when Union was ahead 3-1. He kept Clarkson in the game
   when they needed him to.
-- Clarkson's power play finally got on track. After an 0-11 night on Friday,
   they scored on two advantages late in the 2nd when they needed it. Even
   when they didn't score, they kept the puck in the Union zone for most of
   the time. I think the key was Union allowing Brian Mueller set everything
   up and play QB.
-- Maybe it's me ( or the refs ), but Clarkson seemed to take penalties at the
   wrong times. They were called for two penalties late in the third, but
   the penalty-killing unit came through. If they're supposed to win the ECAC
   this year, they can't keep making those mental lapses.

Box tomorrow.

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam '93          Let's Go Tech!!
Union College '95?        Let's Go U!!