From:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 19:22:33 CDT
It's interesting that the inscription on the plate on the front of the Hobey
Baker trophy claims that the award is "given annually to the outstanding
collegiate hockey player in the United States".  To me, this implies that the
award goes to the best player in the country.  It does not imply that anything
other than on-ice performance plays a role in who wins the award.  Has the best
player always won it?  We could debate that forever.  Certainly some excellent
players/students/people have won it and that makes a great award for college
hockey.  I think you can always argue FOR another player winning it, but I
don't believe you could argue AGAINST any of those who did win it.

Justin Doherty