From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 19:09:56 -0400
[log in to unmask] (James Endress) wrote:

>1. If two great Western players are are for it and one
>very good Eastern  player then the eastern player will
>win because the western votes are split.

First, there are ten finalists for the Hobey, so this argument
does not work.  Second, I would like to believe that the voters
for the Hobey are not so East vs West (or league vs league),
and that they vote for the best college player, regardless of
where the school is located.

Also, in the 14 year history of the award the 2 western
conferences have 8 winners to 6 for the 2 eastern conferences.

Furthermore, the east had only 3 winners vs 7 for the west
prior to 1991 (when the first of three players in a row from
Hockey East won).  Actually, by conference the WCHA is still
the hands down winner with 6 (equalling the 6 won by the east).
 Hockey East and the ECAC have 3 each, with the CCHA trailing
with only 2.

By school, UMD and Harvard have 3 each, Maine and Minnesota
have 2 each, four schools have one each and 34 schools have no
winners.

So, a new question:  What are promational budgets for hockey at
each school?

Sean Pickett     -     Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East
Champions!