From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 1994 18:09:34 -0400
Well, heading into my fourth year in exile (from a hockey standpoint anyway :-)
in Columbus, I have picked up a few things about OSU hokcey.  It is not
surprising that OSU cannot field a decent team since the university has decided
it does not wish to support the program.  If you are spending $20-30 millin on
a new basketball arena for a team whose players spend more time in court than
on court when your hockey facilities are the laughing stock of varisty...maybe
even club...hockey, then it is obvious that you have no commitment to the
hockey program.

I am not sure why this is as one would think that with quality Big 10 programs
like Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin and Minnesota running around the CCHA
and WCHA, that simple intraconference rivalry would keep OSU going, but it does
not.  At first you say, "Okay, this is not the hockey hotbed found in Michigan,
Wisconsin or Minnesota," but then how do you explain the success of Bowling
Green? Besides that, the ECHL Chill have shown that hockey can be a major draw
here.

In OSU's defense, they have done a little more marketing for the team and there
are plans to do more of the home games at the Fairgrounds...with good
marketing, the games against Notre Dame were excellent draws, the second
probably being more than 4000 (probably an OSU record).  If they do more of
that kind of thing, then maybe they can compete for the talented players and
not be consistently outskated.  The good thing from last year is that they at
least played semi-cohesive defense, and if they get a little scoring punch,
have a chance to be near the middle of the pack...in Columbus, that is quite a
good team...one that is competitive. :-)

I still contend that any coach that will put up with the conditions that Welsh
has put up with for the 19 or so odd seasons he has been here is not someone
who can call himsefl a true advocate of the program.  He may be the "winningest
coach in OSU hockey," but he also has a career losing record...I don't think
that any coach can boast his longevity with a losing record...not even the most
obscure of the other OSU sports would keep someone like that...but Jerry makes
few demands on the department and staying quiet andnnot costing too much money
seems to be the main requirement for employment as men's hockey coach
here...where beiong the winningest coach is a lot like being the best hockey
player from Ecuador.

I will say it again as I have so many times on this list...I do not believe the
OSU program will ever develop with Jerry Welsh as coach...no amount of money
will change that. However, a little support would help.:-)

Dave

OSU Med '95 (Residencies in Boston look better the closer hockey season
gets...)