From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 1994 16:57:06 EDT
    Although I should probably defer to those who saw more Maine games than I
did, I'd go with Kariya first over Montgomery if I were building a team.  I
liked Montgomery too, but I see Kariya's talent as head and shoulders stronger.
Kariya had the Bird/Magic ability to make the other players around
him better than they were.  Yes, Montgomery scored the natural hat trick for
the title, but Kariya set him up for all three and oftentimes it takes more
talent and work to set someone up for the easy one-timer than it takes to
score the goal.

    I admire Montgomery's leadership qualities too, but I'll bet if you asked
Cal Ingraham which player helped him the most, Kariya would get it.  ANd that
includes Montgomery's motivational boosts to Cal.

    Kariya would be my number one draft pick, with Terreri perhaps number 2.

DaveH