From:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 1994 13:14:59 -0400
I'm surprised that the Capitals would make an offer to Carey because they
have too many goaltenders already.  They currently have 4 goaltenders who
have all played some NHL games:

Don Beaupre - he was offered a termination contract for this next season,
even though he was a primary reason that the Capitals eliminated the
Penguins in the playoffs.  The Capitals said they offered the termination
contract because of money considerations, not because Beaupre can't
play.  Beaupre is in his early 30's.

Rick Tabaracci - he is the goalie that the Capitals seem to think is
their #1 goalie, even though he hasn't proven himself.  He was injured
several times last season and missed a lot of games.  When he came back
he seemed to have trouble getting back up to speed. (I think they might
have brought him back too soon).

Olie Kolzig - He was the star of the Portland Pirates during their win of
the Calder Trophy.  He didn't play well in the NHL even though the
Capitals obviously expect him to be their goalie of the future.

Byron Dafoe - He was the star of the Portland Pirates during the
regular.  He played well for the Capitals at the end of the season and
during the playoffs, even in very pressured situations.

I wonder how they saw Carey fitting into this group?  Maybe they're
trying to trade one or more of these four?

The Capitals also own the rights to Marc Seliger, a German goalie, who
played well in the World Junior Championships.

I'm glad to see that the Capitals think so highly of Jim Carey to offer
him a contract, but given the confused goalie situation that the Capitals
already have I think he'll be better off with Wisconsin.

Carol