From:
"John R. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John R. Nash
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 1994 11:28:53 -0600
Quotes from the Wisconsin State Journal, 7/27/94, reported by Andy Baggot:

"Jim Carey, one of the best college goaltenders in the country the last two
seasons, said Tuesday he has rejected a multiyear contract offer from the
Washington Capitals and reaffirmed his plans to return for his junior year
with the Badgers."

"'Right now I plan to come back to school,' Carey said. 'That's the way
things stand. (The Capitols) offered me something to go there, but they
weren't even in the ballpark.'"

"That is an upbeat development for a team that is bracing for the potential
loss of all-WCHA center Kelly Fairchild."

"A variety of sources indicate the senior-tp-be is leaning havily toward
foregoing his final season of eligibility and joining the pro ranks.
Fairchild has two options: Sign with the LA Kings, who selected him in the
seventh round of the 1991 NHL draft, or join a minor-league entry in either
the IHL or AHL."

"A factor in that equation is that Fairchild ... enrolled in summer school
apparently needing to upgrade his avademic status for the fall semester.
It is not known if he succeeded."

-===-John R. [log in to unmask] Chem. Dept-===-