From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 1994 23:56:26 -0400
Although I missed the draft (apartment hunting), I did catch on the news
tonight that Jeff Kealty became the first U.S. high school player selected
when he was chosen #22 by the Quebec Nordiques.

He is the player I've been freaking out over for the past year and a half
since I saw him play his Junior year at CM.  After getting *really* excited
when I found out he was coming to BU next year, I went through the entire
past year bewildered why he was not being more highly considered.  (I didn't
want to bitch, though... you know, ceramic dalmations and all...)

My ego has now been reinflated to its formerly large level now that he was
grabbed in the first round as the first US high school player.  I feel smart
again! :-)

Essentially, he is the player I've described as being tall and skinny, but
having amazing ice sense and smooth, effortless skating on the high school
level.  Although he has failed to shine at all-star tourneys, (when he doesn't
know the other players, something that greatly hinders him based on his passing
style and positional play) he has always stepped up his game 2 notches when the
state tourney rolls around.  He's a good player who, when he hits the playoffs
and everyone steps it up a notch, he rises 2 notches, standing out amongst his
opponents.

The only down side to his being a first-rounder is that this increases the
possibility that he may jump and leave BU before playing out 4 full years.

Oh well...

Well, we'll see what happens with the rest of the draft tomorrow (or today in
5 minutes). :-)

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre