From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 1994 02:46:23 -0400
Matt Glaccum asked:
>Help! I am trying to find out the inaugural year for each Div I team, meaning
>that year in which a team was first eligible to advance to the Div I Tournament
>Obviously, not all teams were in existence when the Div I Tournament was
>founded in 1948.  Show off your hockey trivia knowledge!

Matt asked for email, but I am posting this in case anyone has
anything additional to add.

I went mainly off what appears in the 1989-90 College Hockey Record
Manual, which includes listings of teams as Independents.  For many
teams, this was easy, but for others it isn't since they may have been
in leagues with DivI teams early on, dropped out for a while and then
resurfaced - or else there were periods of non-DivI play, like with
Notre Dame.

I went with the teams that are currently DivI, since no team currently
not DivI ever made it to the NC$$ tourney.  Teams are listed by
conference.

HOCKEY EAST
Boston College         1948-
Boston University      1948-
Maine                  1980-
Mass Amherst           1994-
Mass Lowell            1984-
Merrimack              1985-
New Hampshire          1948-1964, 1967-
 I believe UNH dropped down with the ECAC small schools from 1964-65
 through 1965-66.
Northeastern           1948-
Providence             1953-

ECAC
Brown                  1948-
Clarkson               1948-
Colgate                1948-1951, 1958-
 Colgate was not listed among the ECAC teams from 1951-52 through
 1956-57.
Cornell                1948-
Dartmouth              1948-
Harvard                1948-
Princeton              1948-
RPI                    1950-
St Lawrence            1948-
Union                  1948-1949, 1992-
 Union was listed with all the ECAC teams from 1947-48 through
 1948-49, and in 1991-92 they joined the ECAC DivI.
Vermont                1948-1951, 1964, 1975-
 Vermont was not listed with ECAC teams from 1951-52 through 1962-63,
 and in 1964-65 they dropped down with the ECAC small schools till
 joining the ECAC DivI in 1974-75.

WCHA
Alaska-Anchorage       1985-
Colorado College       1948-
Denver                 1951-
Michigan Tech          1948-
Minnesota              1948-
Minnesota-Duluth       1951-
North Dakota           1948-
Northern Michigan      1977-
St Cloud               1988-
Wisconsin              1964-

CCHA
Alaska-Fairbanks       1985-
Bowling Green          1968-
Ferris State           1979-
Illinois-Chicago       1983-
Kent                   1957, 1987-1988, 1990-
 Kent was listed as an Indep in 1956-57 but did not really begin
 till the 1980s.  In 1988-89, their program was suspended for a
 year by the school due to hazing.
Lake Superior          1970-
Miami                  1981-
Michigan               1948-
Michigan State         1950-
Notre Dame             1969-1983, 1985-
 ND dropped to club status for the 1983-84 season.
Ohio State             1957-1961, 1963-
Western Michigan       1976-

INDEPENDENTS
Air Force              1968-
Army                   1948-1973, 1981-
 Army competed in DivII from 1973-74 through 1979-80.

Years listed are the year in which the tournament was held, earliest
being the first tournament in 1948.

I would be happy to answer any questions as to why I arrived at the
years I did for any of the teams.  Please post questions or better
yet, email them to me at [log in to unmask] even though I am not
posting this from there.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
Opinions expressed in this post are solely those of the poster.