From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1993 16:19:24 EST
John writes:
>Which brings me to another comment (sorry).  In Ann Arbor, when Michigan
>fails to convert on the power play and the PA announces that the opposition
>is again at full strength, about 3000 people respond, "AND THEY STILL SUCK!"
> But this Saturday, I noticed an alarming trend.  For years, the PA
>announcer would say, "UIC (or whoever we're playing), full strength" which
>would result in the above response.  On Saturday, whenever UIC came out of
>the box the PA announcer said, "Both teams, full strength."  It certainly
>curtailed the cheer.  I wonder if this was mandated by the university
>because it didn't approve of the chant.  Anyone?

For a further case study of this whole situation, drop by Cornell.  A similar
response to the "XXX returns to full strength" announcement was in full bloom
some years ago, so the administration/athletic department decided to curtail
that particular cheer by simply not having the end of the power play announced
at all.  That worked... for about half a game, and then the Big Red fans
started making the announcement *themselves* after a power play ended, along
with the appropriate (?) response.  And that's the way it's been for the last
four or five seasons.

Where there's a will, there's a way...
--
Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94 (.5)            |  [log in to unmask]