From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1993 12:43:14 -0600
12/06/93
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Tom O'Connor, Sr F, Northeastern.  O'Connor notched two goals,
including one unassisted, and one assist against #2-ranked Maine in a
6-3 win.  His strong defensive play helped keep Maine off the power
play scoreboard.
Honor Roll: John Joyce, BC; Jay Pandolfo, BU; Patrice Tardif, Maine;
Dwayne Roloson, UML; Eric Flinton, UNH; Brian Ridolfi, PC.

ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Greg Bullock, LW, Mass Lowell.  Bullock tallied one goal and one
assist against #8-ranked UNH in a 6-3 win for the Chiefs.  His power
play goal broke a 1-1 tie and he assisted on the game winner.
Honor Roll: Brian Callahan, BC; Shawn Bates, BU; Barry Clukey, Maine;
David Green, PC.

(end of release material)

MISC
ACADIA NOT TO COUNT IN MAINE'S RECORD?
Maine is listed at 8-3-0 in the release this week.  This was also in
the paper.  Indication is that they are not counting the Acadia tie in
their overall record, so it should perhaps be changed to an EX.  I
will keep an eye on this.

PC - AND POSSIBLY MAINE - TO BENEFIT FROM INELIGIBILITY OF TORY?
Reports also are that Maine has decided to forfeit three wins over
Providence, which would drop their record to 5-6-0 and 4-5-0 in HE.
However, as I mentioned earlier, HE says they are waiting until the
final outcome to decide what to do within the league.  Should PC pick
up three wins, the Friars would suddenly be in first place with 10
points and a 5-5-0 record!  They are currently in 7th, 2-8-0.  I am
not sure whether HE regulations require the opponent of a team that
plays with an ineligible player to be awarded a win.  NC$$ and HE
regulations might be different in this case.  (I expect PC will get
the points, but I'm just pointing out that nothing is definite yet.)
It would seem that not only Maine, but the other six HE teams would be
hurt by PC being awarded the points - that's why I raise this issue.

A possible scenario: Despite the forfeits, Maine finishes first overall.
PC finishes 4th, above some of the better HE teams (5 ranked among the
best in the country by both polls and ratings), and knocks out the 5th
place team (really 4th best in HE).  Guess who Maine gets in the
quarterfinal - an easier game against PC, who they beat on the ice 3
times.  So the forfeits *help* Maine.  This is a strong argument to
just take the HE points away from Maine and leave everything else as
is - no?  (And don't think the other six teams aren't thinking the
same thing...)
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<<< Color Voice of the (7-7-1) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>>